Re: now health certs

 Subject: RC: now health certs
>Same thing with the coggins test... only proves that the day the blood was
>drawn the horse was negative.

There's a big debate over the Coggins Test and EIA (Equine Infectious Enemia) going on in the Horse & Pony newspaper (distributed in Florida and Georgia only) lately.  Most of the debate was started by Don Blazer from Arizona, who has turned into an anti-Coggins activist.

One thing I've learned that I didn't know before is there's a vaccine for EIA used in Japan.  It's not allowed in the United States, and after making a few inquiries, this is what I've been told is the reason why.  The main reason is that the vaccine will cause the horse to be positive when it's tested for Coggins.  And the rumor is if that happens, the authorities have no way of deciphering whether the horse is really a carrier or vaccinated.

This has got to be the most ridiculous reason not to protect and eradicate EIA I have ever heard.  Talk about your Catch-22.  Have we made the Coggins TEST so damn important that we won't use a vaccine to prevent EIA cause of the damn test?

I'm still trying to learn more about this vaccine.  I'm hoping Heidi or other vets online will talk about this one.  I dread getting that test every year, and the talk about making it required every 6 months just sickens me.  Because of Coggins and Health Certificates, I have more paperwork on my horses than I do on all my children, house, divorce proceedings, military service records, all put together.  This is insane!

cya,

Howard (Kat, please research this one; no one does it better)