Re: Re: now health certs

Don't let this foreign vaccine stuff fool you.  I have about 2 pounds of original scientific refereed journal articles in my files.  I will share them with anyone who will pay $0.10 per page for copying.  The bottom line is:
1. The Asian vaccine (The one I know about is from China) is for a different strain and is probably completely ineffective on US EIA.
2. It is made from cows, and Hoof and Mouth is present in the country, so it could spread hoof and mouth.
3. There have been several recent trials of US vaccine made by modern recombinant DNA methods.  Some were ineffective, others increased the horses chances of getting the disease.
4. While a horse can go "positive" at any time, EIA is a slow moving disease so the best way to combat it is to test as many horses as possible and then follow up on contacts with positive horses.  This is done here in Wisconsin.
5. Since the EIA virus is the same type as HIV (doesn't cause the same disease etc, just the same type) it is very unlikely that an effective vaccine will be made any time soon, for the same reasons that HIV vaccines are not on the market.

Before anyone flames me with stories about how EIA is not a real threat or anything like that, send me the money for the copies of the articles, read them and then we can dialog.
Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016
sisufarm@mmmpcc.org