From: ??? ???? <hwb67@msn.com>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 10:45 AM
Subject: RC: Re: now health certs

Subject: RC: now health certs
>Same thing with the coggins test... only proves that the day the blood was
>drawn the horse was negative.

There's a big debate over the Coggins Test and EIA (Equine Infectious
Enemia) going on in the Horse & Pony newspaper (distributed in Florida and
Georgia only) lately.  Most of the debate was started by Don Blazer from
Arizona, who has turned into an anti-Coggins activist.
One thing I've learned that I didn't know before is there's a vaccine for
EIA used in Japan.  It's not allowed in the United States, and after making
a few inquiries, this is what I've been told is the reason why.  The main
reason is that the vaccine will cause the horse to be positive when it's
tested for Coggins.  And the rumor is if that happens, the authorities have
no way of deciphering whether the horse is really a carrier or vaccinated.
This has got to be the most ridiculous reason not to protect and eradicate
EIA I have ever heard.  Talk about your Catch-22.  Have we made the Coggins
TEST so damn important that we won't use a vaccine to prevent EIA cause of
the damn test?
I'm still trying to learn more about this vaccine.  I'm hoping Heidi or
other vets online will talk about this one.  I dread getting that test every
year, and the talk about making it required every 6 months just sickens me.
Because of Coggins and Health Certificates, I have more paperwork on my
horses than I do on all my children, house, divorce proceedings, military
service records, all put together.  This is insane!

cya,
Howard (Kat, please research this one; no one does it better)