Big Horn

I just got back at midnight last night from the Big Horn ride.  I, my
sister, and a friend rode the 50, they tailored from Billings and I from
NV (750 mi).  I have read so much about this ride and really wanted to try
it and I am going to give my opinions of the ride.

After driving for hours and the closer I got to the base camp the uglier
the country, I was sure wondering why I was doing this.  Then when we get
to the base camp it is the ugliest,dirtiest, filled with cactus, no trees
anywhere site I have ever been to, I was really wondering why I was there
and it was soooo hot.

After setting up camp, we drove up to where the first vc would be so our
crew would know where to go.  Very steep winding road up into beautiful
country and I thought well maybe this we be alright.  After getting back
we led our horses across the road and to the scary bridge we had been told
about.  It is a scary bridge but nothing to worry about if you do your
home work.  We led our horses across individually, then together to get
used to the noise and vibration and movement of the bridge and our horse
went right over with us on them at 4 am.  This was the first time I have
ever started in the pitch black before (3 am my time) and I actually
enjoyed riding in the dark.  My horse Indian Paleface, is very trustworthy
and I just stayed out of his way and we did fine.

I live in the mountains of eastern NV and ride in mountains every day,
some big mountains but I have never ridden for hours and hours up hill and
then hours down hill.  We opened lots of gates and the first leg of the
ride did not have much water.  I just knew my Indy and the other two would
be sore the next day from so much up and down, seemed as though there was
very little even semi level ground, but the horses were fine.  Took us 11
hours to complete this ride and I usually finish 50's in 6- 8 1/2 hours.
At the first VC a large cow moose came along and that was neat.

It may sound as if I am complaining but I am not, I really enjoyed the
ride, did not have any trouble finding the trail, we managed to have
plenty of water and the country, once in the mountains, is really
spectacular!  The trail was difficult but not any more than I am used to,
I did lead down hill for what seemed hours but not because my guy couldn't
get us down safely but only to rest Indy and give my legs  break.  The
meal was great that the management furnished, they were nice people, we
didn't have any problems, I would definitely have a crew there.

I would love to go back and try to knock a few hours off of my time and I
am not interested in doing the 100, the 50 was hard enough for this rider.
 I really did hate the base camp though and that might keep me from going
again but as I understand, the base camp site was moved just a couple of
days before the ride and everyone had to make do.  So maybe the base camp
is usually better?

I am glad that I went and want to go again.

Jolynn #20785