Re: Akhal-Tekes

Well, I'll step out of lurker mode to comment on this topic. I just sold my
last Akhal-Teke a few months ago; I'd had him for seven years. So, I feel
capable of providing some information about the breed and characteristics.

I've owned and/or competed five Akhal-Tekes (including those crossed with
Thoroughbreds) in the upper levels of show jumping, dressage, eventing and
even foxhunted a couple of them. While I am an endurance rider (I've ridden
horses for the Kanavy family), I haven't actually taken an A-T in endurance.
I wouldn't hesitate to do so, however.

They are generally quite easy to work around and do seem to forge a special
bond with their owner. They are athletic and very easy to train. Their
stamina is quite impressive. We once took two A-T/TB crosses to a horse show
and the temps climbed above 100 degrees. They definitely handled that heat
better than the other horses around us and still had their ears pricked
during the last class of the day. Their conformation does give them the
appearance of a "fragile" horse, but in all the years I've been associated
with these horses I've rarely seen a lameness that was inherent. They are
very tough horses.

I highly recommend this breed for any sport, including endurance. And as a
bonus, they have the smoothest gaits. You could sit to the trot forever on
most of these horses, and the canter is ususally like sitting in your
grandmother's well-worn rocking chair.

If anyone would like to e-mail me questions about the breed, I'd be happy to
try and answer them or point you in the right direction. As Steve Shaw said,
the Cases (the first importers of these horses into the United States) and
Allegra Steck in Virginia do have some wonderful Akhal-Tekes available for
sale and at stud.

Tricia Booker