Re: RC: Black Walnut

Hi Beth,
   My horses are pastured on 8 acres.  I have Black Walnut trees that line
much of the pasture fence, as well as a few Black Walnuts right IN the
pasture.  I have never had a single problem with the horses from this <knock
on wood>.  We have been here 17 years.  (Oh, we've also got wild cherry.
Ditto.)  I might mention that I have enough pasture that there is always
plenty of grass for the horses to eat, so they are never tempted to eat any
walnut leaves, even in the fall.  However, I have seen the horses grazing
underneath the walnut trees, and there is one tree in particular they love to
stand under the shade of on hot summer days (not grazing, just napping).
Again, no problems, but I think there being enough grass to eat is a key
componant.
   One observation: the horses seem to be bothered less by bugs when they are
under the walnut tree, and I think this is partly why they like it so much.
   You have to make your own decision, of course, but I love trees as much as
I do horses, and I will remove a tree only under dire circumstances (if I
thought the tree would harm my horse, I would remove it . . . but again, I've
had no problems in 17 years, and my horses would miss their shade trees.)

<< Hi Teddy and RC'rs.  I have a "new pasture", that is, it is newly fenced,
and we haven't turned the horses out in it yet, as we need to remove some
construction material.  It is about an acre, with flat areas and a steep
hill. It has grassy spots, a number of oak and Eucalyptus trees and two or
three Walnut trees that are on the steep hill. I am debating in my mind if I
should have the walnut trees removed. They are tall and shady. My neighbor
across the road has some in her pasture, and also Avocados, and her various
horse's have been in there for 40 years, with no harm done. Do you all think
I should remove my Walnut trees? Or should I wrap them with wire? Or are they
okay the way they are?  We are planning on planting grass seed at intervals
so the horse's can munch.  Thanks for your ideas.   Beth >>

Trish Marie & A King David
Grand Blanc, Michigan (a great state for tree lovers!)