Jones on barefoot

Toni,
both of your pieces were quite eloquently and sensibly written.  Absolutely
forces one to think long & hard about the "barefoot" trend.  And, I also
agree with:  "We don't know where we're going, or where we'll end up"... In
my 20 years of Endurance, I have tried with success & failure many different
things..   Have sometimes modified with success, or continued with failure.
However, I have said from the beginning.... this is the "greatest "ah hah" &
discovery to me since I stumbled into Endurance in 1981.  As you implored
our audience.... simply study it with an open mind... see what works for
you.  Some people still poultice and bandage religiously after a 50/100 mile
race.... others don't.  Personal preferences, but no one is flamed for
either.

To Nancy re:

Nancy Mitts wrote:
> Toni,
Many people who have been doing endurance for a long time raise their own
horses, keep their horses out 24/7, trim properly (if/when necessary) and
don't shoe until they require it.

Darolyn response:
I trimmed a good deal of our horses properly for years.  Or so the farriers
thought & told me.  Remember that that is just that, a farrier's proper
trim.  The "barefoot" or Strasser" or "feral horse trim" is quite different
(physiologically speaking), & don't forget the importance of water on the
feet almost daily.  I had a very revealing experience with that in Dubai
this March.  Couldn't believe the difference in hoof quality within 24 hours
of starting to soak.
Hope to see you both on trail..... with or w/o shoes.  ;-)))

Darolyn Butler-Dial  & Mark Dial  (COWBOY)

             CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE

             Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.

Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties

Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced Biological
Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)

ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")

21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338

        Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768

      e mail: darolyn@swbell.net <mailto:darolyn@swbell.net>
http://home.swbell.net/darolyn/