re:barefoot - long

Hi Nancy,

I know that people turn out 24/7 and trim regularly. I do that. But is
anybody
out there conditioning their horse for endurance ACTIVELY and on
purposely
trying to condition their hooves also, right along with the bones,
tendons
etc. and giving the feet as much attention as making sure the legs are
clean
and tight, no cuts, no bumps, no saddle problems, etc. Obviously Darolyn

is.... but she's only been at it a bit longer than others, it will be
interesting to see where she and others trying to do this will be 2 or 3
years
down the road. Will all give up and go back to metal shoes? will some
make it
and others not? Will we all be using some of the new hoof boots on the
market?

So can a well conditioned endurance horse compete barefoot successfully,
or as
successfully as a shod one? I don't know. To listen to most on ridecamp,
I'd
have to say NO. Will that stop some from trying? Most likely not.
However, it
was once said that man couldn't fly (still can't but we have airplanes),
and
that going over 45 mph would kill you, and that humans running a 4
minute mile
couldn't be done, and a horse going 100 miles in one day would do him
in....
hmmmm.....

As a side note, I do not own, but I have read the book where there is a
translation from the writings of Xenophon from ancient Greece that tells
of
their stable customs to toughen their horses' feet.  To keep the feet in

condition horses were to stand on stones sunk close to one another that
were
about the size of their hooves, and the floors slanted a bit to
discourage
moisture. They felt that just standing on the floors with stones in them
like
this would strengthen the feet. Standing on them was suppose to be as
good as
walking on a stony road for a portion of each day. From this and other
things
I have read the ancient Grecians did not have horseshoes. There is
argument on
whether later cultures did or did not.

If you feel your horse needs shoes, then do so. If protective boots will
do,
great. If your horse can do it barefoot, fine. It is agreed that not all

hooves are created equal. But some that thought or were told that their
horses
hooves were "genetically inferior" have found otherwise after starting
natural
care and trimming .

In any case, the horse's welfare is of utmost importance and should
always be
the first consideration in any circumstance. On that we can all agree.

later
toni

Nancy Mitts wrote:

> Toni,
> Many people who have been doing endurance for a long time raise their
own
> horses, keep their horses out 24/7, trim properly (if/when necessary)
and