Re: RC: re:barefoot - long

For those of us starting youngsters who have always been kept "naturally", I
don't think the hooves should need anything extra, beyond the gradually
conditioning process for the rest of the body. That is, if keeping them
barefoot while riding long distances (often) was going to work.
The type of ground where Darolyn lives is ideal for keeping horses barefoot.
Her main problem seems to be working out the best way to keep the horses
going while competing outside of Texas.
So yes, for some people barefoot can work, if they live & primarily ride
where it is possible.
This issue really doesn't correlate to man flying, or running a four minute
mile, because those were new things that had never been done. Horses started
out being used without shoes, which were only developed to solve a problem.
So all we're really doing is going back in time to try again, and maybe find
a better method. Or just reinvent the wheel, and swear it's a better wheel
this time around.
Nancy Mitts