30 degree hair line (from Barb Peck to Darolyn)

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
From Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Darolyn:
You may not worry about toe lenghth, because your
horses are probably being used regularily, and wearing
the toe to their optimum lenghth. Probably same with the soles.

And I'll venture that most of your horses were sound, and
in regular work, and if you'd Xrayed them, you'd of found
most (if not all) had a robust digital cushion and just needed
the heels lowered.  (Are you doing repeated opening cuts, and repeatedly
paring the sole on a regular basis...?)

All circumstances (and horses) are not the same.
And the lateral/ungual cartilages are not the same in all
horses.
So the measurement at the heel (3.5cm from the top
of the cartilages to the ground) should not be cast in stone for
all horses.

Alot of the people doing Strassers trim are not riding,
their horses are lame, or have previously foundered. They
trim the heels, to get the 30 degree angle
and the toe gets away from them..but they keep after the heels,  striving
for that 30 degree angle requirement.
Strasser has lots of instructions on how to lower the heels,
thin the sole and remove the bars, but I haven't seen anything yet that
addressed proper trimming of the toes
(They do back the toe up by vertically rasping the wall back to the white
line in some cases)

And I'm with Bob on the 30 degree rule....
The hairline should only be a visual guide.
 Trigonometry is the mathematics based on triangles... the darn foot is
NOT a 2D triangle..

I'm not against people riding or competing barefoot..
I'm against setting a precise set of rules and measurement tolerances for
all hooves on all horses regardless of the
horses job.

Barb