Re: RC: Barefoot/Strasser/fads...

In a message dated Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:26:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Lif Strand <fasterhorses@gilanet.com> writes:

<< I'm wondering if this has to do with rider balance or something else like
that.  Did the Mongols shoe or protect their horse's feet on those long
marches?>>

Yep--leather hoof coverings, from what historians can figure.  And of course, the horses were somewhat expendable, too--if one is too lame to ride, you just eat him and get another one.  And likely the march or the battle did not stop simply because the horse was a little sore.  We have cultural taboos about that, not to mention AERC rules and vet checks...

Heidi