Re: Re: Re: barefoot

----- Original Message -----
From: Nancy Mitts <mitts_n@hotmail.com>
To: <tina@autoairbagcovers.com>; <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 7:43 PM
Subject: RC: Re: Re: barefoot

> Shoeing doesn't prevent every bruise, but it helps.

How does a shoe protect the sole of the horse's foot? A shoe's ONLY intended
purpose was to prevent excessive wear of the hoof wall. That's it. Of
course, pads are a different story.
I have to respectfully disagree that shoeing helps with horses bruising.
When my horses were shod, they would plow right threw the rocks as if they
could not feel their feet at all! This at times could be very dangerous,
resulting in tripping, and yes sole bruising! When trimming their feet, it
was a rare occasion to not run into some bruising of the sole. In fact,  the
years that they were shod I had far more lameness issues.  Two of my horses
have been barefoot for a year now, and I have to tell you, they now watch
where they plant their feet! And no, they are not gimpy or sore at all. One
of my horse's (when he was shod) that frequently used to be so "hargy bargy"
(hard on himself) over difficult terrian, would become at times down right
scary to ride. Since he has been barefoot, he is now a dream to ride.
Literally a different horse to ride! His stride had smoothed out
considerably, and he no longer pounds the ground with those feet! I used to
grit my teeth, while riding him, hoping he wouldn't take a permanately
dehabilitating last bad step. He is 19, and there is no doubt that the
effects of being barefoot has dramatically eliminated much of  that damaging
concussion to his joints, and I am sure has added more healthy years to
life. I am conviced he can finally "feel" his feet, where shoes considerably
impaired this feeling. Both horses that have been barefoot for a year now,
have much improved strides, watch where they plant those feet, and have not
taken a lame step since. It is interesting to note, that since they have
been barefoot, when I trim the sole, there is now no sole bruising. NONE!
My other gelding has been barefoot from birth. I have ridden him totally
barefoot in one LD and (2) 50's and you would never know that he doesn't
have shoes on. Someone had commented that it is impossible to ride over
terrian such as Tevis completely "barefoot". My gelding did Bridgeport 50
totally barefoot, and from what I hear, the terrian is similar or if not
worse than Tevis. I don't know. I am not suggesting that EVERY horse may be
able to ride this kind of rugged terrian totally barefoot. But it is not
fair to say that it can't be done. If my horse's can keep doing the miles
while happily and comfortably going down the trail barefoot, for the best
interest of the health of my horse, I am going to certainly try.
Happy trails to all!
Robyn