Thumps at the Track

> Track they Thump and the people don't even know.  Endurance People >
should be proud to bring forth issues that relate to horses > well-being
thruout the Equine Spectrum of  >>>Sport.  So what if we > take the rap
for bringing it to the forefront?  Knowledge can only  insult the
ignorant.  tomsites

I have no problem at all with talking about thumps...or how to prevent
it.  I just didn't feel this article did anything really to educate...it
did even worse, it spread obsolite disinformation I'm sure you did far
more to educate your racetrack pals than that article would have.

Do you think that racehorse thumped as a result of dehydration?  Do you
think that maybe the fact that they feed straight Alfalfa a lot could
have contributed?  Can extreme acidosis cause thumps? (I really don't
know) I sat through a seminar at UT once where they discussed
electrolytes, etc.  They said Thoroughbred racers become acidic.  Harness
racers become acidic, endurance horses become alkaline, and I believe
crosscountry jumpers were alkaline... seems to have relation to whether
they run aerobic or anaerobic...that was touched on in this article but
they never got past mentioning anaerobic horses burn glycogen, and
brought no conclusions. So, what are the differences in the recipes for
the 2 different types electrolyes?  And how come a foal with scours seems
to need the acidic kind (is that an anaerobic activity)?  By the way,
when's the last time anybody out there counted on electolytes in their
water to replenish their horse's losses?

I don't think of thumps as a stigma...just a valueable warning sign.
They made it sound as if we had horses staggering around with jerking
abdomens that we hoped would pull through.  I didn't see really any way
they related it to the
common every day rider.  They didn't mention that maybe letting your
horse graze a little on a trail ride would replenish electrolytes.  I
know plenty of Western and English riders who refuse to let their horses
eat with the bits on no matter how hot it is, or how long they're out
there...it's "bad manners".  They didn't give you any idea what to do if
it happened to you on the trail or at a show...other than get him on IV's
fast.  I don't think I've seen a case of thumps that resulted in IV's,
though I'm sure it can get to that point.  If they're going to pretend to
do a thorough article, they should make it a useful article, not just
fill up some pages with words.

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.