Re: barefoot

> True, but......having seen a barefoot horse road founder in Arizona a few
> years back, I don't take this whole subject lightly at all.

Hi Beverly,

I understand the compassion for the road foundered horse.  The road founder
I have experienced was shod - a gorgeous little Al-Marah bred mare last year
that was at my vets clinic that had been over-ridden in the rocks.  Do we
know that shoes will save a horse from excess shock from surfaces they were
not conditioned for, whether shod or unshod (not an argumentative question,
I really would like to know)?

I am not defending every individual's decision that their horse can go
without shoes, obviously, people make mistakes in judgement on this issue as
well.  But I'd like to be able to decide for myself what level of hoof
protection my horse requires for a particular ride.  Just like I have the
right to pick my training & conditioning methods, feed, electrolytes,
saddle, bit, etc.- all of which can be equally beneficial or detrimental to
my horse's health.

While I don't chose to compete without hoof protection on my horse, there
are a few horses in my region that are barefooted and have wonderful feet
and finish sound.  I don't think anyone should take that option away from
them.

Happy trails, lady - send us some of that good California rain, please!

Michelle
(Colorado)