Re: RC: Re: Re: barefoot

In a message dated 6/26/01 11:06:23 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
losvagos@navicom.com writes:

; but if the rider/owner believes they have
prepared the hoof and conditioned for the ride, I would think that no one
knows better than the they if their horse ought to start.

True, but......having seen a barefoot horse road founder in Arizona a few
years back, I don't take this whole subject lightly at all.  I have a
question...How many horses have competed barefoot at the Malibu ride, or the
Tevis, or any number of really rocky, tough rides?  (easyboots don't count as
barefoot, btw).  I think barefoot is great if your horse can do it.  Just not
ALL horses can and that is where it gets scary.  My friend who rode her horse
on the above mentioned 50 mile NATRC ride had no idea that she was hurting
her horse.  His endorphines were cranked up and he didn't show any sign of
pain to the vets or to her until the finish when he was acting really sick
and foundered.  Just a thought.

Sylvia