Re: absess

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Holland" <lanconn@tds.net>

> Tracy...
>
> I have had good luck with cleaning it thoroughly, putting a wad of
> Ichthammol on two or three thicknesses of 4" gauze pad, stiff it in the
> hoof and cover the whole thing with duct tape.  Change twice daily.
> Ichthammol is a "drawing salve

An added plug for Ichthammol-my 2 year old recently cut her knee pretty
badly.  I took her in for stitches and bandaging, etc.
AFter 3 days she started pulling the bandage off (and the stitches out).
Back to the vet, who did another wrap, and smeared
Ichthammol on it-said of everything she had every tried, that was so stinky
and nasty that it deterred the horse from picking at the bandage.........and
it worked!

Karen