Electrolyting

I have never tried to electrolyte my horse (we're not competing till next spring).  Is it ok to "practice" with a "watered down" dose after a trailride? I'm thinking he'll do ok (loves to get paste wormed .. he looks for more when I'm done) but I don't want to get to a ride to find out he refuses to take them. Thanks.