older riders

         Once again I am proud to agree with Julie Suhr when   she says
"There is a whole gang of us out there (unfortunately,  probably led by me!)
that will have to
reluctantly admit sooner or later, that 50's and 100's  are too much for us.
. . . Our proven horses and our years and miles of experience will need a
slightly less tough venue. "   (And it was good to hear  that  Bob and Arlene
Morris are  also  continuing  to compete , although on a less strenuous
basis. ) Yes, unfortunately it happens, and I'm sure that I outdate all of
them!!
    I feel fortunate that, in the Midwest, our competitive rides can satisfy
my urge to compete   I would NOT attempt to "win" an LD ride. One of the
horses I'm competing on is 26, but she can still go out there and place or
even win,  a competitive  ride, where speed averages  5 1/2 to 7 miles per
hour  and everyone does the course in the same time limit. It's GREAT for
young horses who don't get carried away with some of the problems we've been
reading about lately.   Louise Riedel