rude riders

Donna Haselow teketalk@flash.net
I've been reading with interest about the "Malibu incident".  Once many
years ago (1989) I was riding my first LD ride at Fireworks in Santa Cruz
and a crazy woman galloping her Arabian mare down that very steep single
track going back down to the highway literally rammed into my horses butt
and SCREAMED "get out of my way, get out of my way!!"  My dear boy being
the gentleman that he is did NOT kick her (like I wanted too) or go
plunging off the trail. As soon as we could move over she slammed her mare
past us and resumed her downhill tirade of getting other riders out of HER
WAY-the rest of us were walking.  She wasn't in a position to top ten or
even twenty, her horse was Not out of control, after all she came to a
very abrupt stop when she slammed into my horse.  But as god watches over
innocents and fools, her horse was pulled at the next vet check.  I
reported her behaviour to the vet as he was checking over my guy and he
told me she had been pulled.  If it wasn't for the outstanding helpfulness
and comradery of the other riders at this, my first endurance ride, This
womans behaviour would have left me not wanting to return. Thank goodness
this type of rider is the exception. They are a danger to everyone on the
trail and set an extremely bad example to outside observers.
I certainly hope the parties who can do something about the "Malibu
Incident" will follow through with a formal grievance.  Getting unsafe
riders to grow up will keep the trails safer for all users.

Thanks
Donna Haselow
teketalk@flash.net