Re: Manners--was stereotypes

>So what is the BEST way to retrain a horse who likes to snatch his >foot
>away from the farrier? I have one of those. I trim him most of >the year
>and he's wonderful for just trimming, whether I trim him or a >farrier
>trims him (natural trims took me about an hour when I first

I had a gelding, Chuy, that liked to play the yank the foot away from the
farrier game.  He was fine with me messing around with his feet, but always
protested the farrier, no matter who it was (we tried several different
guys).  He never tried to kick, although one farrier commented, "He's not
gonna kick me, but he's sure thinking about it" and I believe his assessment
was correct.  Anyway, I always twitched him.  I no longer have Chuy, but the
farrier I have now told us about a horse he had known that had always been
twitched as a colt to be trimmed, and fifteen years later, as a dead broke
gelding, refused to have his feet worked on unless he had a twitch on.  The
twitch didn't even have to be engaged, just hanging on his nose.  Sorta
makes me wonder if that's what the problem with Chuy was, or something
similar.

Incidentally, my current farrier did work on Chu a couple of times, and
always protested when I brought the twitch out for him, apparently
preferring to spend forty minutes trimming him.

-=-=-
~angela       www.fatmare.com
"Any PC built after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit."
- Reverend Jim Peasboro, as quoted in the Weekly World News