2001 XP, Day 9, Week #2

Hi!  I am in Gothenburg, Nebraska now.  Taking the day off, which I would
have rather rode of course but since I didn't I'm enjoying have a
break.  Right now we are inside a Pizza Hut restaurant and I've got my
laptop plugged into their wall, they even have a phone plug.  Ridecamp is
only a couple of miles away.  The weather is beautiful, only 75 degrees and
about 59% humidity.  It's noon.

Somebody drove into camp earlier today from down the road and asked Dave if
anybody was missing two horses.  I guess two horses had wandered into his
yard and he had them.  No halters on them, but they were likely from the
ride.  Probably somebody in camp dropped them off and went to crew and
water, and their horses got loose.  I've got metal I.D. tags braided into
my horses manes in case they get loose and don't have a halter on.  Right
now nobody in camp knows who those horses belong to.

We'll be able to get a lot done today after we are done in town.  The
horses are both looking well, gawd I can't believe how much that brown one
eats.  Everything I put in front of him, I think he's going to
explode!  Dave tightened the nails down on his shoes and cleaned his feet
up a bit so I think I'll ride him tomorrow and then he'll be reshod this
weekend.  His feet have sure grown a lot in the last two weeks.  Rocky
should be fine to go again on the start of next week, he's looking really
good right now and will get three more days rest.  I've been really putting
aloe juice on the horses coats and armpits hoping to keep them from getting
to dry or scurfing.  There are sure alot of horses out there getting girth
and saddle sores and if that happens you're going to be out of luck.

There probably aren't a whole lot of people who have ridden every single
day anymore, but there are a few.  Pat Verheul, the Ramsdell kids, MJ,
Bonnie, Trilby -- others have ridden every day and missed a half a day or
taken a day off.  I think a lot of people are readjusting their
expectations.  Most of us want to have a good time and enjoy the experience
and not get too wound up in the competition -- as most are finding out, one
horse is just not going to make it the whole way, and it's not looking all
that good for the riders to do all the days either.  Trilby won't if she
keeps eating candybars.

I better get this done and get those photos uploading.  Then we can go
visit the Gothenburg Pony Express station.

Happy XP Trails,

Karen