2001 XP, Day 7, Week #2

Doggonit if I didn't trot Rocky out and he was sound this morning, so next
thing you know I found myself going down the trail on the 7th day of the
2001 XP.  We rode from Prairie Lakes to Kearney, Nebraska today.  The
temperature cooled of a little bit though it was still pretty hot.  I asked
Jim Baldwin if this was hot to him and he said that hot was hot, and this
is hot.  Luckily we had a bit of a breeze today which really helped.  The
riders are organizing crews to get three water troughs out along the route
each day and then picked up so we will have at least that much water in
addition to the riders individual crews who provide water and any local
residents.

Today Elena didn't crew and instead did the ride and tie with Steve
Shaw.  They both came in looking pretty good too.

Somebody left the door open on Trilby's truck and another rig came along
and bent it all the way backwards.  Ouch!

Dave just discovered that the travel center where we are staying has a nice
air conditioned Wendy's inside.  So guess what's for dinner tonight?

Getting up this morning was a bit difficult.  None of us are going on very
much sleep, and the heat and humidity really zap our energy.  Especially
since we are picking up and moving camp every single day and dealing with
extra horses.  Dave is crewing for me but also Tinker and Louise and today
helped Clark P. (who came in 1st), and Dave Rabe.  He also has to find time
to refill about 70 gallons of water every day so he can water all the
riders along the trail.  I have him going every 5 miles after lunch, so
anybody riding anywhere near where I am is also getting water.  He also has
sponging water for all of us.

I am not sure why, but both of my horses seem to be urinating quite a
lot.  They are drinking tons too, but I've never seen them pee so dang
much, and it's staying clear.  Rocky peed more today than I've ever seen
him pee on any ride ever.  Maybe now I can stop worrying about them turning
into horse jerky out on the trail?  I felt that we went a little fast into
lunch today, about 4 hours, so I slowed down a little and ended up with
probably a 9 1/2+ hour day.  I shouldn't go so fast.

The dogs love it here, we have a lovely little lake behind where we are
camped.  The crews can even swim, and so can the horses if you take them
around to get in.  Dave and Jack are the best crews and seem to find us the
best spots nearly every day, and this is definitely one of them.  :+)

My photos are all done, and just need to be uploaded.  I got several good
ones, including Dave Rabe mounting at a trot.  I don't think I'll try that,
I'd end up with my GPS implanted in my stomach or someplace not as
comfortable.

Dinner time!  Till next time,

Karen
7 days down, 33 left!