Re: RC: using poultice

I will jump in on this since I have not seen the previous reply -
about  this  sort of went like this :

Poultice  equals cooking chicken in a clay crook pot ..
.
I use to do all that stuff - wrap up tight and - all - ALL my horses
ended up with more filling more heat more damage.

Here is my program:
POST RACE - After vet out.
SOAK legs with OHC STOCKIN-UP   or
  home made mix see below
Use ICE BOOTS -- I prefer DC or SUNG ICE , But DURAKOLD are ok  or use
ARBEE ? with chop ice .. what ever you like. The cool crystal water wraps
dont get cold enough.
I leave the boots on for 20 min, off for 15 back
on 20 more.

Apply more leg brace - OHC
let cool out
I then apply a thin to med cover of herb poultice very wet. I never
wrap.  Air dry

I may put on ice boots again in an hour -depends on the filling and
what we did.  I check for heat - filling every hour
POST race care is almost as important as vc care.
I go for many walk-abouts - trot outs .
I ALSO double dose up on MSM.  plus elytes.

I TRAVEL with compression boots such like the 3 day riders use. Good
ones are LENDE BOOTS with copycat from BIT OF BRITAIN .. also some of the
'English mail order shops have these.

I also made a mistake in the early days and over wrapped  - almost a bow
..
Seems the poultice-wrap protocol comes from the track and the show
horse mind-set .. other then a damaged suspension issue .. I think
wrapping etall reduces the ability of the horse to repair itself

my choice and what appears to work well for my horses is no wrapping

--
 Roger                            mailto:roger@vmaxept.com