Re: Side Pulls-all you ever wanted to know!

Hi All,
Seems I have a zillion sidepulls, from very severe to not severe at all.
The best one I have was from Australian Connection, but I heard they don't
sell them anymore?

With sidepulls, I see a lot of biothane retailers selling them with a big
problem.  They do not put the second strap under the jaw, which prevents the
cheek pieces from sliding into the eyes.  Check out the leather sidepulls in
a catalog like Jeffers or Chicks and you'll see a second strap.  My
daughter's favorite is an old leather one from one of those places.

The best set up I have found for races is a halter bridle with a snaffle
(and sometimes a German martingale).  Buy just the side pull and put double
snaps on it.  After the first loop,when my horse has settled down, I just
unsnap the snaffle and snap on the sidepull.  When it is attached to the
halter bridle, you do not have the problem of it getting in their eyes.

Make sure your noseband is stiff, otherwise you are riding in the equilivant
of a halter.

After riding in a sidepull over 1000 miles on Ffire Storm, my daughter went
to an "S" hackamore because, as the horse got really competitive, she didn't
have the control she wanted.    She loves it, and I see more and more people
riding in them now.

I try to stay out of the horse's mouth if at all possible to allow them to
drink better.

Hope this helps!
Louise
Louise Burton