Underweight horse

Karla, It has been my experience when taking in malnourished, underweight horses to get them fed free choice hay ASAP. I think your pasture would work as well, as long as it is not to lush. The Hooved Animal Humane Society told me that they use the, (and I'm not sure about the spelling), Phinochio diet, named after the Dr. who helped them come up with the best way to feed these horses. They feed free choice alfalfa, for a few good reasons. First, most of the horses they get in can barely stand, so they need energy quickly without grain overload. Second, they need to get weight on the horse, again without grain overload. They do the medicating , teeth floating, feet trimming, and what ever else the horse needs as soon as physically possible. If you contact them, they will be more than happy to help you out. I have followed this protocol for the horses I have taken in for our local SPCA and so far it has worked very well. When I asked if any of the horses at the HAHS coliced or got sick after going from starving to alfalfa, the girl told me that if a horse didn't make it, it had nothing to do with what they just ate. It had to do with what they didn't get to eat for the past 6 months or so. It made sense to me and they have a good track record. When I do introduce other feeds, I like to start with the Equine Sr. from Purina because it is pelleted, easy to digest and has athlete, a fat additive. I don't think it is just for older horses. I have seen all the horses that have come through the Odd FarM benefit from it. Weight gain, shedding of old thick hair, feet grow, and sparkly eyes! The Hooved Animal Humane Society is in Illinois and if you call your local shelter they should be able to get the number for you. Or check the internet. I looked for the number on my desk but I see papers and stuff from 1999. It could be awhile before I found it. Good Luck. Lisa Salas, The Oddd Farm