Re: RC: Re: Electrolyes by syringe are a no-no!

Hi Judith!

I think what you need to ask yourself is this:  Is your horse an
athlete? If yes, then, you need to think in how to help your horse be
as athletic as possible before during and after exercise. Otherwise,
we are doing a glorified trail ride with vets.

Does your horse sweat?  Do you exercise for two hours at a time? Is
he trailered? If so, then you really need to top up the electrolytes
that he gets from feed. Yes, some horses need less topping up than
others and other 'seem' to.

But, be aware, the horses cooling system needs more than water. If
there is a comparison, it's not like the old water in the radiator,
but anti-freeze, coolant in the system, except, that there's a leak
in the system and not as 'closed' as it is in a car. And you need
constant monitoring.

I used to say that horses don't lie.  But, nobody seems to understand
that concept.  So, I now say that humans are blind deaf and dumb when
it comes to horses. Often they are yelling and screaming at us,
quietly or not so quietly that they're sick and uncomfortable for the
lack of enough electrolytes in their system.  They may be lame (we
blame it on rocks or a mis-step), sore (rode to hard), tired,
(ditto), uncooperative, unresponsive, dawdling, ears back, grimacing,
all because they don't have enough electrolytes in their systems
(although they may be drinking). A 9 hour 100 mile race can use up to
30 - 40 ounces of electrolytes!  And, you better have a liter of
water going with that once of electrolyte!

Not to alarm you, but, Gayle Ecker, in Canada has a database of over
500 endurance horses and has spoken volumes on the care and
maintenance of endurance horses.  The majority of folks have NO idea
how to electrolyte properly.  A whole bunch of bad science has been
invented trying to electrolyte.

So, yes you can train your horse to take electrolytes.  It is
absolutely vital that you get those electrolytes in him if he's going
to work, or working hard.  He will feel much better for it and you
will have better performance out of him!  Especially if you keep up
the electrolytes regime AFTER the ride!  If you use a good
electrolyte, like Perform 'n Win which is balanced and quick into a
horses system, you will be rewarded with a horse that eats and drinks
heartily on the trail.  A horse should be hungry in any kind of
endurance ride!  He needs that tummy full and that gut going--a horse
that is not eating at a ride is a horse that may be in trouble.

I've seen the most horrific characters do what their handlers wanted
(and these cases were so bad, they were going to be put down). These
are psych techniques (like clicker training) that work if you do them
step by step and take time for the training. Most people are far too
much in a hurry and don't watch their horses enough to back off, go
forward or continue.

We really CAN be smarter than our horses, and in a sport as tough as
endurance, we need to be, cause once those horses stop eating and
drinking, we need a vet to get that horse back to good health.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK!  You can do it!

Cheers

Monika