[Fwd:Old Dominion 50]

Congratulations to Missy Whitmire on completing her first Old Dominion 50!  Good job taking care of Miad, Missy!

Jim and Sun of Dimanche

-------- Original Message --------

Subject:  Re: Old Dominion 50
Date:  Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:05:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:  Missy Whitmire <tazlina2000@yahoo.com>
To:  Jim Holland <lanconn@tds.net>

Jim,

We did it, we completed the Old Dominion 50.  It was tough going, but Miad came through it like a champ, and I still can't believe it happened.  We were blessed with incredibly beautiful weather, no humidity, and the morning was cool enough to start with a jacket.

Miad threw a shoe on the first loop, after trotting down that steep rocky road (I got tired of fighting him and let him trot), and I picked it up and took it with me into McCoy's Ford vet check.  A farrier was set up there, so I gave him the shoe and went through the vet check.  Miad had to trot out with one front shoe missing, but still got an A on gait, that's how strong he was trotting. The ride management wouldn't let our pit crews drive to that first vet check at McCoys Ford to help us, so I had to pack elytes, food, etc in an extra saddle bag, since I wouldn't see my crew until the Fitchett vet check (end of 2nd leg).

We made it to Fitchetts way ahead of the cutoff time, and my crew (husband, sister, bro-in-law, nephew and nephew's friend) was there to take over for me.  They cooled Miad in the creek, trotted him out, gave elytes, fed me and him, and we left out of there for the big, rocky climb.  We caught up with some other riders, and we all went up the mountain together, and got off at the bad rocky places.  At the top it was beautiful, and the view of the Shenandoah River is one I'll never forget.  But then it was hell coming down.  I got off and Miad and I slid part of the way down, then just walked carefully, for over an hour, until I was sure it was safe to ride him down the rest of the way.  When we hit the road at the bottom, he broke into a canter and we all ran whooping and hollering until we got to the boggy field outside of McCoys Ford (3rd vet check).  His vet scores were still great, and we made it from there to Liberty Hall in one hour and 3 minutes.  Ken Marcella vetted him there, and said he looked fantastic, so we made tracks for the finish line and crossed the line at 5:07 PM. I had put his sidepull on by this time, and got a blister trying to hold him back from trotting down that steep trail (with the water bars like steps across the trail).  He still had that much energy.

I, however, had no energy left at this point, and got off at the finish line with shaking legs, pain in my right foot and ankle, queasy stomach, and sunburned face.  Steve got him vetted through, and he got a few B's, but vet said he looked really good.  So then I had my cold Heineken, and Miad had hay, grain, beet pulp, blackstrap molasses, applesauce, leg wraps, and many other attentions from all of us.  He is our hero!!

Thanks for all your advice, and the trail info you sent.  I re-read it several times before the ride.  I am so proud.  80 horses started the 50, and 61 finished.  We were somewhere in the top 40's, I think 48th place.  It was a great day.

Hope to see y'all soon on the trail,

Missy