RE: Re: Electrolyting for Endurance Competition

> There is an increasing amount of research from all quarters that is
> indicating that as a whole, endurance riders don't e'lyte their
> horses early
> enough or often enough, and it's showing up as dehydration and/or
> metabolic problems/depletion.

snip

> Again, this isn't replacing e'lytes per se, this is
> encouraging drinking---because the data is showing that the majority of
> horses in a ride are *starting* rides clinically dehydrated, in
> other words,
> they're dehydrated from trailering and then not replacing that
> fluid during the night.

snip

> As
> long as you keep the doses small and frequent and consistent, and
> offer the
> horse water whenever available, you won't run into trouble unless
> something
> else is drastically wrong.  Where e'lytes can start to cause problems is
> when it's given too late, too large a dose, on an empty stomach
> and/or after
> the horse is already depleted of substrates.  And don't stop
> giving e'lytes
> as soon as the ride is through---it takes a day or so for the body to
> recover from a ride and an extra dose or two of e'lytes will help him do
> that.

snip

> Good luck,
>
> Susan G

Susan,

one of the best explanations about what happens and may happen I've read in
the past years.
You hit the point: Since we are giving amounts of elytes, of which we
thought before that they will kill the horses, we never had metabolic
problems.
Currently we are giving 1 oz. each hour, no special brand, but a mix from a
pharmacy (my recipe).

At the first rides the rider was very suspicious, but after some good
results they are trusting me.

Wolfgang
Endurance Trainer&Consulter
Germany
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schwingenheuer;Wolfgang
FN:Wolfgang Schwingenheuer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+49.2932.27073
TEL;WORK;FAX:+49.2932.27755
ADR;WORK:;;Robert-Koch-Strasse 16;Arnsberg;NRW;D-59755;Germany
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Robert-Koch-Strasse 16=0D=0AArnsberg, NRW D-59755=0D=0AGermany
X-WAB-GENDER:2
BDAY:19680311
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:wsabg@t-online.de
REV:20010115T143809Z