Re: Breeding Lease

I forgot...one thing that it is very important to have in the
contract is that any disputes will be adjudicated in your
home state.  If things do go awry, at least you can take her
to court in your own jurisdiction.

Here is an example of the kind of thing that can go wrong...

Your mare is coming home after her foal has been weaned.
You open up the trailer and discover your mare AND her
new foal.  What gives?  Turns out the lady wanted a filly,
and has no use for a colt, so she's sent the colt back
to you.

Well, what the heck, you say, I like the colt.  I'll just
keep him.  So, you apply to have the colt registered.
The registry refuses--no record of the breeding they tell you.
It turns out the lady never paid the people who own the
stallion their full fee.  So, the stallion's owners are
withholding the stallion certificate until they are paid
in full.  (Variation--the lady owns the stallion, but is
PO'd at you for some reason or she's just a plain SOB,
and it's SHE who's refusing to report the breeding.)
You now have your mare back, AND an unregisterable foal.

You can't put all these eventualities into a contract.  That's
why it is important to make sure you're dealing with somebody
who is honorable and very, very reasonable.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@ici.net
Massachusetts, USA