RC: Breeding Lease

I leased a wonderful mare 7 years ago.  The mare I leased was quite
impressive (Gwalior/Naborr bred and all her national show points) and I had
never done this type of thing before.  The owner had me sign a standard lease
agreement, we discussed insurance, etc., but she did not require me to cover
her.    I basically feed leased the horse and trained her for trail riding
(she had only been a show horse at that point).  I was responsible for all
her care while she was with me.  The only restriction was that I could not
show her - BIG threat there <g>.  She foaled without incident and I returned
her 6-7 months later.

If I was the person sending a horse out for lease I would be very specific in
the lease agreement about where she was kept, insurance coverage if required,
ability to check on the horse, what course would be taken if the horse was
not kept in condition, etc.  I currently have a 20 year old semi-retired Arab
leased out.  I stated in the lease agreement (which I copied from the one I
signed on the mare) and was very specific that I was to have full access to
see the horse and if things were not up to standard he would be pulled
immediately.  Also, they are to make no serious veterinary decisions without
consulting me.

Hope this helps somewhat.  My lease agreements have all been satisfactory on
both sides and I would not hesitate to do it again.

Lee