Spurs

Having spurs on has saved my bacon more than once.  I never touch my horse with them unless It is needed, but they know that they are there, and know that I will use them. I use the nubs only on my old horse, and the small smooth rowels on the young "more likely to loose focus" horses.  Once they know what they are,  they have allot more respect for slight leg pressure, and you will find that you rarely need to use them. I can't remember the last time I actually poked my old horse.  Even if not used as any kind of abusive tool, there is definite rite and wrong way to use spurs. If used correctly they are  a great tool. I consider most bits, and how they are used to be abusive.  Horribly so in some cases. None of my horses have ever tasted metal. Obviously I disagree with FEI  spur rule.  But, since I am not interested in that sort of competition, no problem.  I agree that we need to pay more attention to the myriad of ignored rules we already have rather than making any more. Glad to hear that it is not an issue for AERC. If it ever becomes one, count me in on protesting it. Annie
Anne George Saddlery  www.vtc.net/~ageorge