Re: RC: jogging/trotting on pavement

Kelsey,
 Obviously you don't go out and trot on pavement for miles without being
prepared.  You have to train for it.  I've done rides where we have
trotted on the road for several miles, and the horses showed no ill
effects because we did that at home.  Starting with a little at a time.
A number of years ago I had a friend who was so paranoid she wouldn't
walk her horse on pavement  for even a couple hundred yards, then took
him to a local CTR  where the trails were hard and had a little bit of
road riding and he foundered.  Not the way to go about it!
Where I board we have a mile of road to get to the trails and another to
get back again so our horses start out walking it and then when the
traffic is light we begin trotting to build them up to it.
Mickie