jogging/trotting on pavement

Okay- I have a question. I was watching horse TV the
other night and they showed the championship endurance
ride that was in England in 1995 or 96 or sometime a
few yrs ago. Anyway- as they showed the horses
trotting on the beach- and then getting closer to
town- they just jogged over the pavement like it was
no big deal. and they did it for quite a distance.

Please pardon my stupidity, but I was always taught
not to trot your horse on pavement for long distances.
Its not good for their legs, especially w/ the extra
weight of the rider. Do you train for this? Am I
overreacting?

Just curious and wondering.
Thanks!!
Kelsey in Oregon