Re: Unidentified subject!

> Need some advise.  A friend of mine is really wanting to get into
> endurance, but wonders if horses that have had bad leg injuries can still
> compete (finish)successfully.   I asked her to summarize her gelding's

There are better people than I on this list to discuss leg injuries, but
I'll just comment that there *is* no such thing as 100% recovery from tendon
injuries.  You can come close, but the fibers that replace the injured ones
are not the same in strength or elasticity, and are more prone to reinjury
later.  To what extent the new fiber is different from the old fibers
depends alot on the exact type of injury, how it was managed, blood supply
to the area at the time, etc etc etc.  Hard to generalize about that sort of
thing.

I might be cautious about the horse being able to do endurance without alot
of disappoint (although never say never) but she might also consider CTR
with him.  Still a good challenge and the more laid-back pace might be
easier on the old injuries and arthritic hocks.

Tell her good luck. :-)

Susan G