Re: RC: feeding pasture horses at rides

Pat...

I also have that concern.  Sunny is also on lush pasture, with a mix of
fescue, broome, coastal bermuda, etc.  In the two years I have competed
him, I have not had a problem with the diet change except that he
doesn't eat as well as he should when he doesn't have grass.  Prefers
that to anything else. I have experimented trying to find out what kind
of hay "products" he likes.  I prefer NOT to feed a lot of alfafa...of
course, he WILL eat that.  I finally started feeding one of the packaged
"forages" made from timothy hay.  It's really simple, just chopped up
timothy, a little fat, and a little molasses. I give him a double
handful "treat" every day with his morning feed.  He has become used to
eating that every day and it keeps a "hay" product in his system. At
rides, I give him a choice of bermuda and fescue hay and all of the
"forage" he wants.  He has been eating more and getting better gut
sounds at the rides this year.  He sorta "browses" among them all.  I
also give him that in the trailer instead of hay.

Susan, could you comment on this issue?

Jim and Sun of Dimanche

--
Richard T. "Jim" Holland                 Phone:  (706) 258-2830
LANCONN, Inc.                            FAX:    (706) 632-1271