feeding pasture horses at rides

Hi all

This is the first year that I've had the luxury of having my endurance horse
on gorgeous pasture.    That's all well and good, but here's my problem.   I
don't think that en route to a ride and/or at a ride is a good place to
suddenly change the horses' feed.   Of course with the pastured horse this is
not an option - by definition you have to change your feed practices.    Not
only am I changing his feed, I'm changing him from fresh grass with a very
high water content to dry old hay.  I do generally soak the alfalfa; if I try
to soak the grass hay, he just won't eat it.  However, no reasonable amount
of soaking approximates the fresh grass.

Seems as if I am changing his feed at the worst possible moment, and changing
it for the worse at that.   I've been toying with the idea of moving him to
his paddock a week or so before a ride to change him to hay then.

So......... whadaya think?   Is this a non-issue?    For those of you who
have been keeping your horse on pasture, do you just pull 'em off and load
'em in the trailer with hay?    Susan?   Comments?

pat farmer