saddles

My two cents worth on saddles

SS - Took some getting used to, as I felt like I was sitting on a mattress at
first.   I did develop a liking for it over a few days, though.  However, it
was a pain in the butt with the saddle pad (woolback) slipping constantly out
the back, and the saddle riding forward and back at every hill.    Gave up on
it fairly early though I may try again with the Skito pad someday.

Big Horn - Started in one of these and still keep it for a back up saddle,
although I don't find it as comfortable as my other saddle over many miles.
 Still, given the price it was a good starter.

Wintec - I couldn't even finish a 'try out' ride in the endurance model
Wintec - seat felt flat and not at all comfortable.    Love the idea of the
hose-off convenience but it was a definite no-go for me.

ZES - this is the saddle I use all the time, and it is great.   You can take
it apart all the way down to the tree, and adjust the shims yourself.  Sits
up well off the horses spine with good air clearance.   Cinch straps come
from both front and back of saddle so the pressure is not concentrated.
Very comfortable for me and has fit 3 horses quite well.   Only thing I don't
like is the stirrup buckles - the adjust to tiny increments (i.e. no buckle
holes) which is nice but the buckle itself is bulky - wore a hole in my leg
and a hole in the saddle leather.   Now I have them covered w/sheepskin.

I have a recurring fantasy of having all the local endurance riders bring
their saddles to a weekend training ride with a free-for-all everyone tries
everything.  It would entail a lot of fiddling around with adjustments, but
would be a pretty cool way to have at least a brief trial of many different
options.

pat farmer