Re: electrolytes and young adult riders

>getting Lyte-now at the vet checks.  But what about training. > I'm here in
>Florida (hot humid capital of the world) and he sweats a lot. > Should I be
>supplementing during my rides???  Or can I just give loose

You're fine not supplementing during training rides at those distances.  The thought is that you want to slightly "starve" the system during training to help the body adapt to conserving electrolytes.  When you would want to start supplementing e'lytes is when the training ride itself is a pretty fair approximation of an endurance ride---say, more than 25 miles at a good clip in hot/humid weather, or even less if the footing is difficult (ie, hock deep sand).  Even then, you don't need to provide much as you still want to keep the system a bit on the light side.  Otherwise, just providing plain salt, preferably loose at home, plus plenty of good hay is all you need, and save the Lyte Now (or whatever other brand you prefer) for the ride itself.  The salt at home doesn't need to be fancy, just plain old white salt is fine, although if he has a preference for one type or another, go for it. (HEY, ROGER, IS THAT BETTER?)<VBG>

Good luck!

Susan G