Re: Saddles: treeless saddles: Sport Saddle

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steph Teeter" <steph@endurance.net>

> Hey group - how 'bout doing some real discussion on the different saddles
> available? Fitting issues, pads, etc. (might be a nice change from the Ti
> war).
>
> I thought we might start with the treeless saddles:
> Sportsaddle

As I have mentioned before, I have had great luck with these saddles.  I
have been riding them for 7-8 years, with only occasionnal minor back
soreness (more later).  I have three endurance models (one with reiner
pommel), two training and schooling, and one
Western.  Two are Circle Y, and the rest are from Sport Saddle Inc.

I am almost 6 ft., thin, and very long-legged.  I find the stirrups must be
back at least 2", or I am not balanced.  With them in that position, my
knees and hips don't hurt on long rides (also I am 45).  My daughter prefers
the stirurps more forward.  My son has the Western Circle Y round skirt SS-I
got it for him, but find it very comfortable and useful for ponying the
babies, and for some reason, even with the stirrups forward, my knees don't
have a problem in that one.

I use skito pads exclusively, and sheepskin covers, neoprene cinches, and
flexride stirups with cages.  This is a VERY comfortable
set up.

These saddles have fit a variety of horses, from swaybacked Welsh pony, to
very round, no withers arab, to very high withers
Anglo ARab.  I cinch loosely, and have not had problems with the saddle
slipping.

I have had two instances of slight back soreness.  One was when a rather
heavy and BAD rider rode my big mare on a long ride-she was bouncing at the
trot and canter, and probably would have sored a horse in ANY kind of
saddle.  Our young horse was a tad tender after a very long ride......so
later I added a very thin closed cell shock pad over the skito pad for a bit
extra padding and that has solved the problem.  Skito pads can also be
ordered with 1" foam instead of the standard 3/4"

I find even sweat patterns when I remove the saddle. I have only done 50's,
but the horses have always had A's on back, and
then lots of hard camping trips.

Because the saddle has no twist (the "twist" is the shape of the horse), it
does get some getting used to.  Your legs are spread similiar to riding
bareback.

Thats about it.  One thing I like is that the stirrups are hung from both
the pommel and cantle, to spread and distribute weight.
I did sit in an Ansur over Christmas.  It was not clear how the stirrups
were suspended, but it looked like from one strap over the top, and I
worried about concentrated pressure.  I also did not like the fact it sat
right on top of the withers.  Even though then claim this will not hurt the
horse, I still shy away from that.  The Safari is supposed to have a more
pronounced gullet and clear the withers; and with the proper pad may also be
raised.    Of course, the Ansur is twice the price of the sport saddles.

Anyway, my SS have taken a lot of hard riding, and i have had no tears,
loose stitching or problems. I my opinion, they are very well constructed.

Karen Sullivan