cramping and electrolytes

Right-O. Speaking of electrolytes, I have seen virtual chemistry labs at some of these rides. Riders mixing this and that and the other stuff. And the poor horses have to eat that! I have not found the need to dose electrolytes yet, just starting 50's. I have raced hard and fast 25's in hot, humid Florida weather and here is what has worked so far. I always give 1-2 tablespoons of loose mineral salt per day along with the mineral salt lick and Source. At rides, I roll little baby carrots (3-4) in the loose salt and feed those, Before during and after. Cut up apples will work also, anything that is wet and will hold the salt. I also give citrus, oranges, grapefruit, tangerines and they love it. Citrus has potassium, calcium and vitamin C. I also feed watermelon and cantaloupe (not just at races but whenever they are in season) I am not a big grain feeder  as about 70 % of my feeding program is T&A and strait alfalfa.  I read from one ridecamper that she liked to see salt crust on her horse and that is how she knows she is giving enough salt. If that is an accurate gage, than my herd is o'tay. I have to rinse them daily in the summer after being out all day to get the salty crust off them. Time and rides will tell how well this works. Thanks for the feedback. For any one who has noticed all my posts today, I am doing laundry and mopping floors (a monthly chore at least) and taking breaks on the computer! Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm