Re: Women driving standard transmissions

After reading all the posts on preferred transmissions and whether women are
capable of driving standard ones, I just had to recall my early experiences
of driving. When I was a teen, driver training had not yet been introduced
into high school curriculum. My brother (who, much later, became a driver
training instructor in the high school where he taught math and electronics)
tried to teach me on the family Ford, circa 1946 model, but he forgot to
inform me that when you release the clutch, you simultaneously press on the
accelerator. So, of course, I stalled the engine, and that was my one and
only lesson from him. When I met Lud, he was the one who REALLY taught me to
drive, and what a capable driver he is, especially in rough country and
mountains.  So, when I went in for my first driver's exam to get a license, I
drove a Dodge pickup with a standard transmission, a 4-speed I think, because
5-speeds came along only later. The test went smoothly, and at the end, the
examiner sat quietly for a few moments and said (drawing it out slowly for
the best suspenseful effect), "Wellllll, I guess.......I'm going to have to
give you a license."  You see, Lud had taught me, in the days before
syncro-mesh transmissions, to back shift with a double clutch, and I believe
that really impressed the driving examiner.  That was exactly 50 years ago.
For a while, we had a stock truck with a two-speed axle, and I could drive
that all over the state, hauling a bull here or 4-H steers or cows there.
Farm and ranch raised women are pretty capable, when it comes down to it.

Barbara