Re: RC: Auto vs. manual for towing

If you driving a diesel and don't have an exhaust brake of some kind -which is usually not standard except on the big guys, it doen't really matter - manual or not you won't have much compression braking.

Truman

BE wrote:

  A friend of mine came over long, winding hill, in "low" gear with her automatic.  Even with her low gear, and using trailer brakes, she still burned out truck brakes by bottom of hill-too scary.     I once had a VERY close call in a similar situation with my automatic.  I stopped about half way down this very  steep and long section of curving road to check on a friend's rig whose brakes had overheated.  I discovered when I stopped that mine were smelling and way too hot to continue.  So sat and cooled for awhile and made it down without trouble but too close for comfort. That same "hill" fried the automatic on that same truck a couple of years later trying to get my gooseneck over.  I then quit using that road until I got my Ford diesel manual and it just flattens it out, going up or down!  Not a problem!Betty

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions