I need suggestions on how to carry a video camcorder on horseback

Fritz Harshbarger 76235.3515@compuserve.com
I will be riding into a wilderness region and need to carry a small (less than 4 pound) video camcorder with me. I expect to use the camcorder after I dismount. I am a very casual, infrequent rider. I need some way (holster, saddle bag, special something) to hold the camcorder safely (so it doesn't get banged up, so I don't get banged up, and so the horse doesn't get banged up). If you have any suggestions please respond using my email address (76235.3515@compuserve.com).

Also, if possible, I'd like to take along a medium-sized tripod (5 pounds, 2 feet long).