Re: RC: Winners & Losers

At 04:36 PM 05/16/2001 -0700, Kathy Mayeda wrote:

>I heard that there were a few people criticizing Heather Bergantz
>for taking the last loop at Washoe at an incredibly fast pace.
>Red achieved BC despite this pace, which indicates to me that
>they were both well prepared to be traveling at such speeds.

If I could quote some of the people at the finish line:

"I haven't seen a horse finish a 100 looking that good in years"

and

"you almost never see a horse win a 100 looking THAT GOOD"

Since I wasn't riding, I was actually there <G>......got lots of good
photos too.

Having done that 100 three times......it's really not all that easy on the
last mountain loop to have any idea how far back the next person is.  If
you're cruising along at a good pace you can really leave them behind....or
they can catch you without you realizing it.  Of course, I'm usually doing
that in the dark <G>.....the only way I'll finish a 100 in the daylight is
if I go to Alaska!