Winners & Losers

I put a lot of thought into this issue, because I am around some who
are very competitive riders.  I spent a little time listening to someone kicking
herself in the butt because she made a mistake at a vet check.  It did not
endanger her horse, it just took her a little longer for her horse to recover.
I just giggled and told her that *I* would have been happy just FINISHING
a hundred miles with both of us alive and well.

Winning does not necessarily happen overnight.  It happens with
careful preparation, training and attitude.  This is for all levels of
competition whether you are just riding for completion, Top 10,
1st and/or BC.  Just takes extra special concentration, conditioning,
and the right horse for winning and BC - and I am in admiration of
those that can achieve and maintain such a level of competition.

I heard that there were a few people criticizing Heather Bergantz
for taking the last loop at Washoe at an incredibly fast pace.
Red achieved BC despite this pace, which indicates to me that
they were both well prepared to be traveling at such speeds.
I saw Heather put Red back out into the pasture and he
was rearing and ready to race the her horse up the hill.  He is
certainly "fit to continue" and Heather knows how to capitalize
on Red's incredible athletic ability.  I am excited for them both
as they go on to the Pan Ams, and possibly the World Championships.

To me, the ones that are losers are the ones that refuse to
listen to the vet's advice to the detriment of the horses welfare.
I don't think there are too many of them out there but I know they
exist.

K.

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Mayeda;Kathy
FN:Kathy Mayeda
ORG:ATCE SJ
TITLE:Electrical Designer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(408) 436-8300 ext: 239
TEL;WORK;FAX:(408) 436-1511
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;97 East Brokaw Road=0D=0ASuite 300;San Jose;CA;95112;USA
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:97 East Brokaw Road=0D=0ASuite 300=0D=0ASan Jose, CA 95112=0D=0AUSA
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:kathy_mayeda@atce.com
REV:20000718T163307Z
END:VCARD