Scary-Bees/Bug Spray

RideCampers:A few years ago I was preparing my horse for a ride in the park.
After grooming him I sprayed him with USET bug spray which I had prepared
from a recipe given to me. The recipe contained Avon
Skin-So-Soft, water, vinegar and eucalyptus oil.This recipe was circulating
around the time of the North American USET Endurance Championship in Canada.
At the top of the Barn was a nest of Bees. They had always been there and
had never bothered us before. As soon as I sprayed my horse they all left
their hive and came down and surrounded my horse who was tied up.I did not
have a quick release on the rope. My horse pulled back furiously and it was
a struggle to get him un-tied. He was lunging and pulling and in a panic.
The Bees were hovering all over him but didn't seem to actually land on him.
I was finally able to un-snap him when he lunged forward. He immediately ran
around the barn and into his stall. The bees did not follow. They did not
attack me.I followed him into his stall where he stood very depressed. I
stayed with him for about two hours. I looked him over carefully to see if
he had any stings. There were no swellings at all. He was never stung. They
were only checking out the smell of the Avon SSS. My horse was exhausted
from Fear and I believe all the adrenaline was drained out of him. He was
never as exhausted from a 100 mile ride. That happened about 7 or 8 years
ago. Did he forget it? NO. Last fall we went on the Pacific Crest 50 Mile
Endurance ride. We encounter Bees again. He spun
around and headed back bucking and kicking at the Bees. They finally left
and I managed to get off him and get him calmed down. After a while I
re-mounted and we headed back down the trail. When we got to about the same
spot he did a 180 and was in a dead gallop back the other way. I did'nt see
any Bees but now I was on a run-away horse. I looked up the single track
trail and saw all the trees so close to the trail. When I saw a small clear
area I let go of the reins and let myself float off the back of him. I was
afraid of being impaled on a tree branch. Last summer a man lost his life
when his mules were attacked by Bees in the Marble Mt. Wilderness Area. He
was impaled on a tree branch when his mule went berserk. Sometimes the Fear
is worse than the Sting. A clear warning should be given to everyone about
Avon-Skin-So-Soft that it will attract Bees! So will other human hair
products such as hair gels and shampoos that contain perfumes. Stick to
products for Horses. If anyone can come up with a spray to repel flies,
gnats, mosquitoes and Bees let us know. We will buy it.
OH I made it thru the ride. The two riders a ways behind me caught my horse
and brought him back and I rode between them and we got past the booger
spot. When we got to the Vet check the Vet asked me if my head hurt. I said
no why? Well your helmet has crack in it. Thank you Troxel you save my life
I think. I mailed it back and they sent me another helmet. Bye Hope