Flies! Freedom! Whaaat???

Hi, y'all!

It is with great interest that I follow the posts on flies.

Yes, I am a fly junkie.  We have tried EVERYTHING known to man and beast for
flies, to absolutely no avail.  Central Florida flies have no apparent known
suseptibility to ANYthing.  Maybe explosives.  In large quantities.  But I
don't NEED a new barn this year, so that's out.

We are trying something else this year.  Got the idea from a local cowman,
our neighbor, who we saw putting out these salt/sulfur blocks all over his
pastures.  "HEY!", I hollered, "Whatcha doin' with those big ol' yaller
blocks?"  "Best durn things for flies", was the reply.  "Cows lick the
blocks, sulfur gets in their systems, PooF, no flies."  "OoooKAY", was my
thought.  "Sure.  What next?"

However...upon yakking with the local nutritionist at the local feed mill,
it turns out the ol' guy was RIGHT!   So I spent $4.00 apiece for a few of
those big ol' yaller blocks, and stuck 'em in the stalls. Two horses
immediately started licking on 'em, two didn't.  Put some sweet feed in the
tops for a week or so, and now everybody is happily licking their
salt/sulfur blocks.

Y'know what?  They don't have flies.  It's hot, muggy, there's flies
everywhere but in the stalls or on the horses.  The flies don't even
congregate around the poop out in the paddocks. (Yes they ARE bathroom
trained)  I think I got it this year.  There is one teeny-tiny drawback,
though.  Horse flatulence is a tad raw, and the horses themselves have the
slightest smell of ummm...old eggs when they get really sweaty.  I can live
with that.

Oh...their sweat doesn't get on my tack because I ride a No-Sweat vent pad.
Ok, ok, ok...I HAD to.  It IS fly related, isn't it?

Karl
Dixie Midnight
No-Sweat vent pads
http://www.dixiemidnight.nv.switchboard.com