Re: where to get ex-racehorse arabs?

> physiological problems later on.  If it's not OK to put an endurance horse
> on the endurance trail till it's minimum 4 for LD 5 for Endurance, howcome
> it's OK to take a horse that's been worked hard at 2 and turn it into an
> endurance horse?  The logic escapes me.  Someone straighten me out.

In a word, money.  Endurance is self-policed, so we have decided that the
welfare of the horse overrules the outcome of the competition (at least,
that's the way it's supposed to work). Plus, our is not a "money" sport, at
least not to the multi-billion dollar extent of the racing industry.  Their
industry is driven by results and money---welfare of the horse so far down
the list as to be virtually non-existent---therefore, horses are raced as
soon as possible, regardless of the effect.  While individuals within the
sport might dislike the concept of youngsters racing, economics do the
deciding.

There is a world-known veterinary surgeon who is of the opinion that racing
two-year-olds does no harm.  However, he flies all over the world and owns a
multimillion dollar home and ranch paid for by putting screws and plates
into baby racehorse legs, so cynic that I am, I might suggest his opinion is
a bit biased.

Susan G