Re: where to get ex-racehorse arabs?

Hi All

I have bought several arabians from Poland over the last few years,
specifically for endurance and ultimately as breeding animals.  All arabians
in Poland race providing they fulfill the basic criteria.  Without exception
we have had problems introducing them to endurance because of their
competitive attitude.  As we had purchased these horses as long-term
breeding prospects we were prepared to take the time to re-educate them but
it is a pain.

Our Polish stallion, Samarang, was best racehorse of his age in Poland when
we bought him.  He did 5 seasons endurance in France and completed several
big rides like the 200kms Montcuq ride etc however he never got his head
round the fact that you couldn't always be in front and you couldn't always
go at a zillion miles an hour.  We always had to run him with a stable-mate
otherwise he panicked when he found himself alone on the trail.  An
otherwise adorable horse.

Another little mare who had also raced and who did 4 seasons endurance.  Her
final endurace race this same 200kms ride where she finished 15th out of
60-odd starters and she has now bred us a lovely foal.  However there were
times when I despaired of getting anywhere with her because she was so hyper
and competitive.

So with endurance becoming more and more competitive I personally would not
want to take another horse off the track as to my mind (depending on the
individual) you start with an immediate disadvantage as you've got a fair
amount of re-education right from the start.

Additionally as others have pointed out a lot of these horses come with a
great deal of emotional baggage plus the added wear and tear of being
started and trained early on in life when they're perhaps not physically
mature.

Obviously these horses do tend to come cheap but if you wanted to go down
that road I would want to check out the pedigree fairly closely to make sure
the mind-set was right for endurance and then go for something as correct as
possible in the limbs and feet department.  Check out the back carefully and
go for something that was useless enough as a racehorse not to have had too
many outings!

Anyway hope this is useful.

Heather Hamper
Aquitaine Arabians