100 mile ride

I have been endurance riding for two years now but have been riding and
training horses for 40 years.  The 50-60 mile ride is the distance I like
but have set a goal to do one special 100 mile ride.  I plan on doing this
ride in the summer of 2002 as this will give my horse and I time to
condition and be ready because I will complete the ride.

Originally, I planned to do the Tevis and have been reading and talking to
anyone I can so that I am not only physically prepared but will be
familiar with the ride before I go.  Lately, the more I read, the the more
I am thinking of doing another ride, not because the Tevis intimidates me,
but because of the number of people that enter.  It seems to me that
anyone can enter whether they know anything or not and that the number of
people along with inexperience will cause safety issues.  I also hear that
the dust is horrible, again because of the numbers.  On the good note, I
understand that the ride is very well organized and that there are
hundreds of volunteers there to help and take care of you.

Now I am thinking about doing the Big Horn 100 instead because from the
info I can get, it is a very challenging ride with a lot less people.  I
was told that the Big Horn was actually a more difficult ride and more
satisfying.  I really don't care about the glory of completing either ride
but want to prove to myself that I can condition my horse and I, and
complete the ride probably somewhere in the middle, so it is really just a
personal challenge I have made to myself.

What do you experienced riders that have perhaps ridden both rides think.
I would appreciate hearing from you even if you have ridden only one,
especially the Big Horn since I don't get as much information from EN on
that ride.  If I decide to do the Big Horn, I plan to ride the Big Horn 50
this year just to become familiar with management and terrain.

JMaynard